The Herbert E. Manning, Jr. Distinctive Service Awards recognize UDTS alumni/alumnae who demonstrate exceptional contributions in Christian ministry. Recipients model servant leadership, courageous convictions, a spirit of witness, and a faithful obedience as they contribute significantly to the Church universal, the Seminary, and all of God’s people.
The awards recognize the many gifts of one spirit, in a person who:
1) Graduated with a professional degree (MAR, MDiv, DMin) from UDTS
2) In ministry leaves a lasting legacy impacting the lives of others
3) Is in a ministry supportive of or identified with a church or a church body
4) Without concern for self is witnessing to others with a true sense of call in a specific time and place
5) Demonstrates an appreciative relationship with UDTS and/or the Alumni Association
6) Contributes to the nominee’s denomination and/or the wider church
7) Qualifies for an award category, which currently include Parish Ministry and Specialized Ministry, including mission, ecumenism, community service, chaplaincy, communications, education, etc.
8) Has served seven years in the ministry
Nominees do not need to be ordained.